Newspaper Office and Print Shop
This building houses much of the original printing equipment once belonging to the Vicksburg Commercial. Established in 1879, it was one of the oldest continuously published weekly newspapers in the State of Michigan before it was owned by the Kalamazoo Gazette and ceased publication in 2011. The newspaper building serves both as an operating letterpress museum, and as a tribute to the role the newspaper and its publishers have played in recording area history.
The newspaper, called the Commercial Express, was sold to the owners of MLive in 2007. In 2013, the South County News was begun by local people who were concerned about the quality of life in the community if it didn’t have a newspaper. The daughter of Meredith and Bernice Clark who donated their printing equipment to the Historical Society, is now the editor and publisher of the South County News.