Vicksburg Historical Society

Click here to edit subtitle

Area One-Room Schools

Research compiled by Dr. Arle Schneider in 1986. Revised in 1996 and 2002 by Vicksburg

Historical Society.

  • Brady No. 7, 1880's.
    Brady No. 7, 1880's.
  • Briggs School students, circa 1915
    Briggs School students, circa 1915
  • Jenkinson School, 1920's
    Jenkinson School, 1920's
  • Maple Street School Second Grammer Dept., 1893
    Maple Street School Second Grammer Dept., 1893
  • Maple Street School, 1880's
    Maple Street School, 1880's
  • Maple Street School, High School Students, 1894-95
    Maple Street School, High School Students, 1894-95
  • One-Room School, 1920's
    One-Room School, 1920's
  • Prairie Grove School, District No. 8, Bert Davis, teacher
    Prairie Grove School, District No. 8, Bert Davis, teacher
  • Strong School, 1925
    Strong School, 1925
  • Tiffany School, Koons Photo, after 1907
    Tiffany School, Koons Photo, after 1907
  • Vicksburg School Band, 1932
    Vicksburg School Band, 1932
Brady No. 7, 1880's.
Brady No. 7, 1880's.
 

Brady Township

District #2 - Jenkinson School on ‘W’ Avenue, at the 3-corner intersection with 27th St. adjacent to a cemetery. Still standing, privately owned. Named for early feed mill owner and township supervisor Robert Jenkinson.


District #3 - Harper School on Nottawa Road, about ¼ mile south of “XY” Ave. Now a residence. Stood on the old Harold Harper farm.


District #4 - Dinger School, north side of “YZ” Ave., ¼ mile east of Portage Creek at the 3-corner intersection of “YZ” and 28th St. Now a residence.

Continue to full version >>

Schoolcraft Township

Bloody Run School – Schoolcraft Township. The site can be found by going south on Silver Street to “X” Avenue, then turning west and going to the end of the road, where you then turn south. The school stood on the east side of the road just before the road turns west. Torn down. Was not in use at the time of consolidation in 1947.


District #6 - Gourdneck Prairie/Webber School. Located on the east side of Portage Road, ¼ mile north of “VW” Ave. Still standing and owned by Schoolcraft Township.


District #8 - Prairie Grove School, half Brady Township, half Schoolcraft

Township, located at south end of Portage Road where Outdoor Educational Center is now.


District #2 - Harsha School – Schoolcraft Township. This school stood on the northeast corner of the intersection of Portage Road and “U” Avenue on the farm of Russell Harsha. His wife, Blanche, taught there for many years. The building was purchased after consolidation by Mr. Harsha and moved it to his farm just north of the intersection. Painted barn red, it still stands.

Pavilion Township

District #1 – located just north of McKain’s Corners (intersection of “S” Ave. and 34th St.) on the east side of the road. Now a residence. Became part of the Climax-Scotts School District.


District #4 – Corner of 29th St. and East QR Ave., across from Pavilion Township Hall. Sometimes knows as Pavilion Center School. Now a residence. This school was closed in 1965 with its students split between the Vicksburg, Comstock and Climax-Scotts school districts.


District #5 - Briggs School – Located on 26th St., ¼ mile south of “R” Avenue. Now a residence.


District #8 – located at the settlement of Pavilion, near the tracks on “S” Avenue west of 32nd St. Disbanded and torn down before consolidation.

Wakeshma Township

Fractional District #6 - Holcomb School - Located on the south side of “X” Ave., ¼ mile west of 38th St. Foundation only can be seen. Located on property once belonging to reputed Confederate Civil War veteran, A. A. “Cap” Holcomb. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.


Fractional District #4 - Worden School – Can be found just north of the intersection of “Z” Ave. and 44th St. Now a residence. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.


Fractional District #8
- Berger School - Located two miles north of Fulton at the intersection of 42nd St. and “U’’ Avenue. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.  Continue to full version >>

Mendon Township, St. Joseph County

Fractional District #1 - Strong School – Formerly located on Silver Street ¼ mile south of the intersection with “Z” Avenue. This school has been moved to the Vicksburg Historic Village. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Park Township, St. Joseph County

Fractional District #3 - Mint School – Located on the southwest corner of the 3-corner intersection with Mint Road and Fisher Lake Road. Now a residence. The school took its name from the mint farms located in the area. Fractional districts served students from more than one township.

Village of Vicksburg


Vicksburg School – 301 South Kalamazoo Ave. Now the Vicksburg District School

Administration Building.